Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Four Years Ago


Four years ago I was ready to get this little man out of me. I was covered in acne, my gums bled, I was getting nose bleeds, and everything was swollen from head to toe, my back hurt, my feet hurt, and I tell you I am surprised I wanted to experience it again.
I didn't want to be induced, everyone I knew that was induced had long labors, but Monday the 23rd, we had an appointment and my blood pressure had gone up so the doctor wanted to induce me on Tuesday morning.
We made our calls to our family members letting them know that Tuesday was the big day. Bob had meetings in Cedar Rapids so Deb decided to come with him. That evening my neighbor (the chiropractor) gave me one finally adjustment (in his garage) and then we went out to eat with Jeremy's parents....I remember is Mom telling me to eat something lite so it didn't come back up during labor. After we got home we finished up some last minute things, Jeremy made me a chocolate shake, and we were laying in bed watching some TV. Around 9:00 PM I started getting these gas pains (sorry for the info), they wouldn't go away so I called my Mom and she said "Umm those aren't gas pains honey, your in labor". I got my wish, I didn't have to be induced.
Jeremy and I got to the hospital around 1:00 AM, my Mom, his Mom, and my sister were on their way too. I was very adamant on not having an epidural, after a very long night and morning Drew arrived at 6:34 AM. (After that experience Jeremy said he would not be in the delivery room for the next baby if I didn't have an epidural)
Our little boy was perfect! 10 fingers, 10 toes, a perfect shaped head, he was 8 lbs 13 ozs and 21 1/2 inches. The only problem we faced was a name.
Jeremy was set on Drew and I was set on Theodore, almost 12 hours later we decided on Drew, NOW I can't picture calling him Theodore, Ted, Teddy, or even Theo. He is a Drew through and through.
These last four years have been a blessing, I love watching him learn, I love watching his imagination, I love watching him grow. I remember the excitement I felt when the pregnancy test said "positive", I remember calling Melissa and then dropping to the ground because I had actually said it out loud and the nervousness kicked in, I remember when the doctor placed him on my lap, I remember these last four years like it all happened yesterday.
Drew is and will all be surrounded by people that love him.

Here are some of my favorite pictures of the last four years.









3 comments:

the w family said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DREW!!!!!I remember when Amy told me you were pregnant!!!

An Iowa Pride said...

Sheesh Meg! What a fun story to tell again! I've only had one year to do so but it seems that I will never tire thinking/talking about that day. You are a beautiful mom and have a handsome little guy. Happy four years to you all. PS- Did you have an epidural the second time around?! I hope so! : ) Good for you brave lady!

Renee said...

ahhh Megan, I loved this post! I'm just now catching up - what great pix and what an adorable little boy :) Happy Birthday to Drew!